So I’ve collected a whole bunch of FODMAPS recipes and I figured it was about time that I started trying them out…
Tonight I made a yummy Parsley and Quinoa Salad. If you’ve never had quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wa’), the best way to describe it is a little like cous cous – both in texture and taste. It can be a little bland on it’s own, but with the right mix of vegetables and herbs it can be quite delicious! A good alternative to a side dish of pasta or potatoes.
Here’s the recipe for you to try out –
Parsley and Quinoa Salad (As found on www.taste.com.au)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, peeled, deseeded, diced
- Place quinoa and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a saucepan over high heat. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until water has absorbed. Drain. Rinse. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place lemon juice and oil in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Secure lid. Shake to combine. Add parsley, cucumber and dressing to quinoa. Toss to combine. Serve.
Easy, huh? 🙂
Chicken schnitzel is one of my all-time favourite meals and one of those ‘safe meals’ I’d choose if I was eating out at a pub or restaurant and didn’t know what else to get.
That all changed when I started on the Low-FODMAPS diet. Since then, I’ve had to sadly skip over the schnitzel on the menu and choose a steak and salad instead.
While I used to help my Mum make chicken schnitzel from scratch when I lived at home, since living with my husband I had yet to attempt it on my own. Finding a gluten free recipe on a website, I thought I’d finally give it a go.
In the end, I didn’t end up following the recipe I found – I simply replaced the flour with GF flour and breadcrumbs with crispy corn crumbs and worked the rest out from there.
The result? A really yummy meal that tastes exactly like the ‘real’ thing!
Gluten free chicken schnitzel
(Serves 2 people)
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Gluten free flour
- 1 cup Crispy Corn Crumbs
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Lemon juice
- Separate GF flour, eggs and crispy corn crumbs into three bowls.
- Cut up chicken into lean pieces and flatten as much as possible.
- Cover one of the pieces with flour.
- Soak the chicken in the eggs (whisked).
- Cover with crispy corn crumbs.
- Place on a plate until ready to cook and repeat the process.
- Fry in oil.
- Serve with lemon juice with salad or vegies.
- Enjoy!! 🙂