Don’t you hate it when you over-estimate how much rice you’ll need for a meal and find yourself with heaps of leftover plain cooked rice afterwards? I hate throwing food away, so I have a great solution – make yourself a delicious bowl of fried rice! They say it’s best to use pre-cooked rice for a good fried rice recipe, so this is perfect.
I personally prefer a vegetarian version, but there’s nothing stopping you from adding leftover chicken or sliced and diced cold meats to the dish. And it’s all so simple to make!
The number of servings for this recipe will vary based on how much leftover rice you are dealing with. But as a rough estimate, one cup of cooked rice plus additional ingredients is the equivalent of one serving. So obviously you will double/triple the recipe accordingly. 🙂
Ingredients (Serves 1)
1 cup of cooked rice
1 stick of celery, chopped finely
1 carrot, grated, chopped finely
4 cherry tomatoes, chopped finely
1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1. Heat up the oil on medium heat in a frying pan and add the cooked rice.
2. Throw in the celery, carrot, tomatoes, soy sauce and salt and pepper to season. Stir to combine and then stir occasionally. (If you wish to add meat, you can do so during this step)
3. Crack the egg in another frying pan and fry it on a low heat. Flip after 2 minutes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Slice the cooked egg into smaller pieces and add it to the rice mixture. Stir.
5. Serve your delicious fried rice!
What do you do with your leftover rice?