Chicken schnitzel is one of my all-time favourite meals and one of those ‘safe meals’ I’d choose if I was eating out at a pub or restaurant and didn’t know what else to get.
That all changed when I started on the Low-FODMAPS diet. Since then, I’ve had to sadly skip over the schnitzel on the menu and choose a steak and salad instead.
While I used to help my Mum make chicken schnitzel from scratch when I lived at home, since living with my husband I had yet to attempt it on my own. Finding a gluten free recipe on a website, I thought I’d finally give it a go.
In the end, I didn’t end up following the recipe I found – I simply replaced the flour with GF flour and breadcrumbs with crispy corn crumbs and worked the rest out from there.
The result? A really yummy meal that tastes exactly like the ‘real’ thing!
Gluten free chicken schnitzel
(Serves 2 people)
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Gluten free flour
- 1 cup Crispy Corn Crumbs
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Lemon juice
- Separate GF flour, eggs and crispy corn crumbs into three bowls.
- Cut up chicken into lean pieces and flatten as much as possible.
- Cover one of the pieces with flour.
- Soak the chicken in the eggs (whisked).
- Cover with crispy corn crumbs.
- Place on a plate until ready to cook and repeat the process.
- Fry in oil.
- Serve with lemon juice with salad or vegies.
- Enjoy!! 🙂